Grant recipients should:
- Have completed their sophomore year of college, or equivalent;
- Have a GPA of 3.0 or higher;
- Be on track to graduate on time (within two years from the time of application, for those having just completed their sophomore year) in terms of credits attained;
- Have a “grant-worthy” idea or plan (see below).
Other important factors:
- Students pursuing ANY field of study are eligible.
- There is no limitation on the amount of the grant awarded to any student.
- Grants can be applied to tuition, fees, books, housing costs and related expenses. Scholarship funds for tuition will be paid to the student’s educational institution.
- Subject to applicable law and rules applicable to scholarship funds such as The Next Edison, there is no restriction based on the college attended by the applicant.
- Financial need will be considered in determining whether a grant will be awarded or renewed, and the amount of any grant awarded.
- Conditions applicable to renewal of a grant will be determined at the time a grant is awarded.
A student’s idea or plan is grant-worthy if, when implemented, it is likely to make a positive difference in the lives of persons in addition to, or other than, the grant recipient or his/her immediate family. This requirement will be interpreted broadly, and does not mean that the grant recipient cannot profit from the implementation of his/her idea. It can encompass, for example:
- A business that will make a helpful product or that will provide jobs to others.
- An idea or plan that will address an important social or legal problem (poverty, crime, drug abuse, unemployment, etc.).
- An organization or system that will improve the environment, the delivery of health care services, the effectiveness or responsiveness of government, or the quality of education.
These are just examples and are not intended to limit the scope of the ideas or plans that will be considered.
Please contact us with questions concerning our grant criteria and eligible plans. Applications are available here and can be submitted by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.